January 15, 2022

Relacing Shoes One-handed

Yesterday's post about tying shoes one-handed means I did not have to push a wheelchair across carpeting with one hand and one foot when I got home.  The door jambs in my house also do not have gouges because it is hard to keep a wheelchair going straight when you do not have 2 hands.

Relace the Shoe: There can be only one free end at the top when you tie shoe laces one-handed.  I have the lace come out of the top hole on the same side as my affected foot.  This dictates which bottom hole I lace through first.    

Adjust Length of the Lace: I wear a leg brace so I need the full length of the shoe lace on my affected foot.  However, the shoe on my sound foot closes more tightly so I cut off 3 inches before I relace the shoe.  Trimming the bottom means I do not have excess lace at the top of this shoe.

Make an Anchor Knot: I put the lace through the bottom hole, leaving a 6 to 8 inch tail hanging out of the hole.  The "tail" gives me something to wrap around my affected hand so I can hold the lace while my sound hand makes a double knot.  I place one knot on top of each other rather than two side-by-side knots like pearls on a necklace.  A scout leader told me this sailing knot holds against great pressure.  Sometimes I leave the plastic aglet at the end of the lace and sometimes I cut it off which creates a tiny fuzzy pom-pom.  Both tuck out of sight (see bottom hole in photo above).  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment