January 24, 2022

Goal Oriented Rehab

A study found people in rehab improved more when they worked on goals that were meaningful (1).  There are three kinds of OT goals, but you often see only two of them during an OT session.

1. The Preparation
OTs see many clients who need 100's of repetitions to rewire the brain and rebuild the body.  Examples include opening the hand with help from of a spring-loaded splint and scanning to the left for visual neglect.   

2. The I Shoulds
Many people have the same shoulds.  We all should get dressed so we can visit with others, do laundry so we have clean clothes, write legibly so we can sign credit card slips, and have good memory strategies so we get to appointments on time.  The photo shows my affected hand opening to hold the lint trap.


3. The I Want Tos
"I want to" is something personal that makes a client's face light up - like cuddling with a beloved cat without getting your bare thighs scratched.  Many valued activities do not take place during therapy because they require special equipment or environments.  OTs must link "I should" to        "I want to" so clients can understand what OT is trying to accomplish.  A linking statement might be "don a bra so you will not be embarrassed when you eat lunch with friends."  I live alone so donning my bra enhances my social life.  Or if a homebound client wants to feel the sun on his or her face, an OT can point to pictures or say "leg brace - patio."  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

1. Lenze ER, et al.  Effect of enhanced medical rehabilitation on functional recovery in older adults
    receiving skilled nursing post-acute rehabilitation.  JAMA Network Open (in press).

2 comments: