November 11, 2021

Donning a Bra One-Handed

Women with small breasts have the last laugh.  I need a bra because my large breasts are closer to my waist than I thought was possible.  Being able to don a bra means I do not have to go to dinner at a friend's house and say "Could you fasten my bra when I get there."  Living alone makes social occasions a source of happiness I do not want to give up.

In sitting, I put the hook end in front of my stomach.  To keep the bra still, I fasten a clothes pin to the hook end and tuck the free end of the clothes pin under the elastic band of my underpants.  Then I flip the free end of the bra behind me until both ends are in front.          I hook the 1st hook, remove the clothes pin, and hook the remaining clasps.  It it not enough to rake the hooks over the clasps.  I have to press down on each clasp to make it slip under the hook.  I turn the bra around and put my arms* in the straps.  Then I lean over to get my breasts fully in the bra cups.   
*Putting bra on - affected arm goes in first.  Taking bra off - affected arm comes out last.

In the winter, I keep the bra straps from repeatedly slipping off the dry skin on my shoulders by putting a small dab of lotion on a Kleenex tissue.  Then I use a Q-tip swab to transfer the lotion to the top of each shoulder.  Aveeno lotion with oatmeal creates friction.  In summer when my skin is dewy with sweat, it is easier to turn the bra around if I shake a light coating of corn starch along the bottom elastic band before I don the bra.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am willing to work hard to stay out of assisted living which costs $4,000 a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not mastered this, it's the only thing I absolutely cannot manage yet. Congratulations! I even tried a front-hook bra, but still can't get those darn hooks.

    ReplyDelete