February 18, 2021

Donning Socks Can Make You Crazy

At 58 years old I wanted to go home instead of going to a long-term care facility.  I live alone so I was motivated to learn how to don socks with one hand.  When Joyce complained about getting her sock crooked in The Tales of a Stroke Patient I understood her dilemma.  She reminded me of the tortuous process I use to do this task.  Pulling a sock up one-handed requires me to pull one side up, then the other side, repeat, repeat, and repeat.  However, holding my leg completely still in the air for that long a time is impossible.


I bend my knee to pull my leg up on the bed to keep it still and avoid leaning over to reach my toes.  My repeated pulling is not always symmetrical so I watch to see if my sock is twisting.
To prevent the heel from ending up on the side of my foot, I go back down to straighten the toe if needed.  When the toe is straight, the heel of the sock ends up on the heel of my foot.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. My caregivers put my socks on when I step out of the shower. Otherwise, you’re right! It is certainly a challenge one-handed. When I arose, when I lie down, it certainly is nightmarish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donning socks after knee replacement surgery is worse. Socks are difficult but compression socks are a challenge and a half!

    ReplyDelete