October 19, 2020

Feeling Embarrassed is a Luxury I Cannot Afford

At a patio dinner party I was the only person who wanted watermelon for dessert.  That meant I got the round end of the watermelon that rocked every time I touched it with a spoon.  Eating it was a slow process because the best I could do was get a thin slice each time.  My hostess tried to help me because she was so uncomfortable with my awkward attempts.  This is the first time my friend has seen what happens the first time I try a new task.  She does not know my performance will improve because I often discover solutions that make my 2nd attempt go better.  She does not know I can count on getting faster and smoother with repetition.  I refused to let her help me because I will never know if I can do a new task if I do not try.

A few minutes later another friend at the dinner party asked me if I get embarrased.  I told her my plate is often too full to feel embarrased.  For example, able-bodied people stand up without any conscious awareness of what their body is doing.  When I stand up I have to make sure my center of gravity is over my feet before I straighten my legs.  If I lean too far backwards I fall back onto the couch or chair I was sitting on.  If I lean too far forwards I fall on the floor.  My stroke often forces me to concentrate so hard that I do not have the mental energy to worry about what other people are thinking.  homeafterastroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Yes! For me when I am walking people often want to talk to me. I can listen, but I cannot reply as I am concentrating on where my feet and cane are, and looking up every step toward where I am going. Looking up is the newest task I have incorporated, and it requires much concentration, so talking must wait until I am back in my wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete