July 28, 2021

Reheating Food Safely

Warning: Using a microwave requires safety awareness

The problem with family or friends leaving a dish for a stroke survivor to heat up in the microwave is that the thumb knocks the lid off when you pick up a dish one-handed.  Heating uncovered food in the microwave makes a mess. 

When I take a hot dish out of the microwave my sound hand is protected by a hot mitt and my hot mitt is protected by plastic wrap on the contaner.  You might wonder why a stroke survivor would use plastic wrap when it gives people with two good hands a run for their money.  Before I started using plastic wrap I had to wash my hot mitts repeatedly.  The mitt would get dirty when I slid my thumb into the dish so I could get a firm grip on the edge.


Go on-line to see the  "food wrap box."  It cuts the plastic wrap in one blow when I shut the lid.  Stretching the wrap over the dish is easy too.  I place the box next to the dish.  As I pull the plastic wrap out, the weight of the dish holds the food wrap box still.



Using plastic wrap also means I do not need a food strainer.
I use a hot mitt on my sound hand to hold he dish over the sink to let the water drain out.  The arrow is pointing at a flap of plastic wrap that is open.  I did not do this.  The water did it for me.
I lose a couple of pieces of small food now and then, but keeping my sound hand safe while handling hot dishes is priceless.
homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. The trick for me is finding a lefty oven mitt. Most of them are made for a righty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found your posts so helpful. I found these Insta-pot holders(on Amazon) so helpful for getting hot bowls and plates out of the microwave. This product is really great at gripping and feels really secure when moving hot objects. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HMUX25K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete