August 3, 2021

I Take My Brace Out of My Shoe Twice a Year

Putting my foot in my brace and then putting my brace in my shoe with one hand is insanely difficult.  Instead I leave my brace in my shoe except twice a year when I transfer it between my black shoes for winter and my tan shoes for summer.

My sound hand grasps the tongue of the shoe and I let the weight of the brace swing the shoe up in the air.  I hook my hemiplegic elbow behind my knee to help lift my hemiplegic leg so I can put my toes partway in the brace.  Finally I put the shoe down on the floor and press downwards to slide my foot in the rest of the way.  No swearing required.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. That is exactly how I did it. Had to learn that on my own. My therapist didn't cover leaving the brace in the shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do mine the same way. Like Dean, my therapist didn't show me. I have to do this daily because of how my foot fits in the brace though.

    ReplyDelete