March 17, 2020

Handicapped Bathrooms Are Badly Designed


Handicapped bathrooms in hotels I have stayed at since my stroke are poorly designed.  
The most common error is placing the towel rack on a wall ten feet away from the tub.  It may be dangerous for a companion to turn his or her back on a disabled person and walk across the room to retrieve a towel.  I solve this problem by dragging the luggage rack into the bathroom.  I place my towel and bathrobe on the rack where I can reach them while sitting on my folding shower stool.  In a regular room I place my towel and robe on the lid of the toilet seat which is often super close to the tub. In a handicpped bethroom the toilet is far from the tub to make room for a wheelchair.


I ran into two unique problems at one hotel.
1) The shower curtain was so short and hung on a rod that was so far away from the edge of the tub I could see a speckled beige bathroom tile floor when I looked down.  A wet floor is a Fall Hazard.  Before I got in the tub I put a bath towel on the floor to soak up the water that fell through this gap as I showered.  A cheap solution is to purchase longer shower curtains that can be tucked inside the bathtub.
2) When I detached the shower hose to use in sitting, I had to turn off the water while soaping up because letting the nozzle hang free let it point outwards to spray water on the floor (photo on left).  A wet floor is a Fall Hazard.  

These negative experiences taught me to stop asking for a handicapped bathroom when I travel.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. My family people (include 10+/- year old kids) want a shower not a tub! My bathroom is very old and we had to re-install tub / toilet / sink. We looked at the tub vs shower - the shower is much lower cost of the tub and very lots of widgets if you want them. We settled on the shower - not a “lip” so you can walk or drive a wheelchair from the bathroom to the shower. We love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Why don't they ask for input from actual handicapped people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. freestanding baths

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, unfortunately, this is a common situation for people with disabilities. Some bathrooms do not even have shower stools like http://www.bestshowerchairs.com/. But these are only people's problems.

    ReplyDelete