March 3, 2020

Applying Make-up One-Handed

Applying eye liner requires the ability to close one eye while you keep the other open.  I can only blink (close both eyes at once).  So I use mascara instead of eye liner to give my eyes more definition.  My affected hand can squeeze tubular shaped objects between my index and middle finger so my sound hand can open the mascara in the photo.  But I had to change to a non-irritating brand of mascara that comes with a funky handle.   
I kept dropping the curved top of the mascara.  This left dark stains on my rug.  I used too much carpet cleaner which left white spots (see black circle).    So I put a bandaide that has texture around the top of the mascara to give me better traction.  I have stopped dropping the mascara.
My balance is too poor for me to lean over to be close to a bathroom mirror.  Years ago I put florescent lights on the mirror over my dresser and put a mirror on my dresser.  Leaning my sound elbow on the edge of the tall dresser gives me control when applying eye make-up.  A food container keeps make-up organized.  A small round container holds vertical objects upright.  It does not fall because it is clipped to the square container with a metal binder clip (white circle) from an office supply store.

A piece of non-slip shelf liner stops eye shadow and face powder from sliding when I sweep side-to-side.  I did not know age would rob my lips of pink color.  They are now the same color as my face.  It is easy to apply lip gloss with a hint of color because I do not have to draw a precise outline like I do with lipstick.  Now I see lips on my face when I look in the mirror.
homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise. A close family member had a stroke 2 weeks ago and your blog offers some hope. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to, can only use one hand so this really helped!I've only had the use of one hand for 19 years now, so ive gotten pretty good at doing my makeup, i just cant get the eyeliner down. Thanks for the tips and help!

    ReplyDelete