December 18, 2021

Walking in Snow with a Cane

Warning: I do NOT use my cane to walk through snow.  I wait until a neighbor I pay shovels my walkway and digs out my car.  I must be able to see the ground to tell if there is an icy patch that could make the spikes of my Briggs Ice Cane/Crutch Attachment slip.  Checking the ground for ice slows me down, but it gets me to my car safely so I can drive.

The photo shows the attachment in the up position to keep it out of my way.  I bought it at a medical supply store near my home.  The advantage of buying it in a store instead of on-line was the saleswoman got out a screwdriver and fastened the device to my cane.  














To lower the prongs, I place the cane in my affected hand and my sound hand pushes the device down until I hear it snap into position.

The device makes my cane slightly heavier which slows me down which is not as bad thing.

I use a different cane during warm weather rather than take this device off and try to put it back in the same place each winter.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Yep that's what O was talking about for snow and ice. When it's just wet and mucky. I gorilla glue course sandpaper to the end of my cane tip. By the time it wears down, the wet mucky conditions are gone, but it is hard on flooring. I imagine there is something on the market that will do the same thing. I also considered gluing on a piece of sole from my old chef shoes. They are slip resistance in water and up 1/4" of oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh snow. and ice. and snowbanks to climb over. I use a pick on the end of my cane too and it is snowy sidewalk, then someone shovels a path down to the concrete and the picks are a problem for 4 steps. I have been having concerns using my cane too recently. I use my cane with my right (stronger) hand but now my right leg is very bad due to arthritis. They want me to use my left hand to increase stability but I find my left hand wobbles like crazy when I put weight on it. Not more stable feeling... pick or no pick.

    ReplyDelete