January 3, 2020

What I Learned About Splints as a Stroke Survivor

When spasticity from a stroke holds muscles in one position, muscle become short which restricts motion.  Lannin (1) concluded "splinting has little or no effect on the loss of range of motion"
(p. 113).  However, Lannin told therapists to stop passive stretching and restrict active hand exercises to 10 minutes a day.  So the data does not tell us if a resting night splint is a useful addition to standard therapy.

I wondered what would happen if I did passive stretching and active hand exercises, but stopped wearing my resting splint at night.  After a month of not wearing a splint I could feel my thumb getting tighter.  I resumed wearing my splint and the next morning I woke up with a wicked ache in my thumb.  Closing my hand all day makes my thumb tight by bedtime so my splint has not eliminated spasticity.  Yet I believe my splint has prevented a painful permanent contracture.

I love my new SaeboStretch resting splint that I wear at night.  The new soft straps do not cut into my skin the way the old plastic straps did.  This version also uses a new kind of "Velcro" that does not have spiky hooks that scratch my bare thigh.  There are two thumb straps and three finger straps. The third strap that is hard to see holds down the little finger.  The cover zips off so it can be washed.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

1.  Lannin N, Cusick A, McCluskey A, Herbert R. Effects of splinting on wrist contracture after
     stroke. Stroke. 2009;38:111-116.

3 comments:

  1. I wore my resting hand splint always until I was unable to put it on because of the downward rotation of my wrist made it impossible. In spite of developing a pressure sore on my thumb. I was told to leave out the splints until it healed. Spasticity is a witch and by the time for the next set of Botox (2 months later), the wrist and thumb were immobile. Now although I can straighten the thumb manually, I've lost the wrist mobility. Splints are "helpful" only if you can wear them. The pain and suffering it caused will not be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spasticity broke two different types of splints my OT made for me. Both splints broke at the wrist. Now I wear a SeaboStretch resting splint that is made of a "space-age" material that bends when my spasticity acts up and resumes it shape when my muscles relax. SaeboStretch is completely covered with a soft cushy fabric that makes it more comfortable than plastic splints.

      Delete
  2. I stopped wearing my resting splint at night because I experience spontaneous, spastic movement in the morning when I first wake up. This is my best time for new motion to occur - when I am relaxed and still in a dreamlike state. I can even extend my fingers fully although I am unable to extend my fingers on command. It is as if I get my best motion when I am not thinking about it. I try to fall asleep with my fingers interlaced if I don't set off the palmar relex.

    ReplyDelete