April 4, 2022

My Pill Map

I take 10 pills a day so I need a system to make sure I take them correctly.  I am highly motivated because my pills can help prevent another stroke.  For example, taking a baby aspirin every day thins my blood.  Once a week I open all my bottles to put my pills in a 7 day pill box.  Two or three times a year I put 2 tiny pills in one day's compartment but no pill in the next day's compartment.  They are so small they can slip out of my hand without my feeling it.  I catch this mistake with my back-up strategy. 

When I dump the pills I need for the day, the first thing I do is put my 3 bedtime pills in a small blue container.  Fortunately, these 3 pills are oblong and different colors.  Then I put my daytime pills on a hot pad that has a floral pattern and stitched seam lines.  I place each daytime pill in the same position to create a V shape.  If there is a gap in the V shape I know I am missing a pill.  

Fortunately I have excellent pill recognition.  For example,  I know the baby aspirin has rounded edges and tiny letters printed on one side (top arrow).  The medicine I take for my thyroid is also a tiny white pill, but it is completely flat and has a line through the center (bottom arrow).  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment