May 28, 2020

Electrical Stimulation with NeuroMove

My hand was completely flaccid for three month after my stroke.  I did not get motion back until I started using an electrical stimulation device called NeuroMove.  Electrical stimulation strengthens muscles, but NeuroMove also has a biofeedback component.  I was able to watch a line on a monitor creep higher and higher as I thought about moving my hand.  That immediate feedback kept me focused and working hard even when I did not see movement.  When my muscle activity finally increased above the threshold line, I got a few seconds of stimulation and was rewarded with a visible hand motion.  NeuroMove would not help me until I made a sincere attempt to recruit the muscles that open my hand.  Equally important, NeuroMove would not repeat the stimulation until I completely relaxed the muscles I just used.  This added feature is important because stroke survivors have trouble both recruiting and relaxing muscles.

I tried other electrical stimulation devices that stimulated my muscles at pre-set intervals or when I pushed a button.  I could not coordinate my efforts with those devices.  In the beginning it took me 20 seconds to figure out how to recruit a muscle and up to 60 seconds to make that muscle relax.  Devices without a biofeedback component zapped me whether I was ready or not.  It was like dancing with a really bad partner who kept jerking me around the dance floor.  NeuroMove patiently waited for me.

Neuroplasticity helps stroke survivors grow new connections in the brain, but that does not mean we can find them. The biofeedback component of NeuroMove helped me find connections
I did not know I had.  NeuroMove stimulated my muscles AND helped me retrain my brain.
homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:


  1. wihh nice info
    kunjung balik, di web kami banyak penawaran dan tips tentang kesehatan
    Ada artikel menarik tentang obat tradisional yang mampu menyembuhkan penyakit berat, cek yuk
    Obat tradisional Stroke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear something works for you. My mother has had a few cerebral bleeds in the past 6 years, she has a rare disease called moyamoya that leaves her vulnerable to more bleeds in the future. The last one was in April and this one left her without voluntary movement on her right arm and leg. I can get physical reactions from her foot and leg if i apply stimulation manually (like tickling or putting pressure at certain points of her foot) and she can still feel sensations, however she hasn't been able to voluntarily move it, at least not consistently. There was one night were she was moving her toes, it's been weeks since then. Was wondering if something like this NeuroMove would be a good option for her. We use a simple stimulator at now to get her muscle to contract but it doesn't function the way the NeuroMove is described. Was wondering how much it costs?

    ReplyDelete