May 4, 2021

The Whacky Grasp That has No Name

My sound hand can place small objects between the index and middle fingers of my affected hand so this hand can hold objects still.  As an OT I know this is a weird grasp that has no name.            As a stroke survivor it makes me really happy.




The index and middle fingers of my affected hand can hold a toothbrush so my sound hand can squeeze toothpaste on the brush.  







The index and middle fingers of my affected hand can hold a cotton swab still while my sound hand cuts it in half.  This creates smaller pieces of cotton I put in my ears before I use hair spray on my short hair. 


I use my teeth to pull a rubber glove on my sound hand.  I do not want to touch shopping carts and transfer what my hand picked up to my car key, car door, and steering wheel.  When I get my groceries to my car, I use my teeth to pull the glove off inside out.  I do not want to leave a dirty glove in the cart so I place it between the index and middle fingers of my affected hand.  
I unlock  my car door and put the used glove in a cup in my car.
Then I put my groceries on my back seat.  

homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. I hope someday I will be able to hold something in my affected hand, but that day is not today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I cope and do as much as U can with my affected hand. I've also taken to using my affected fist to hold things on my cutting board while cutting them too.

    ReplyDelete