April 4, 2021

More Good and Bad News

The good news is exercise can help stroke survivors regain control of their body.  I have done exercises for 17 years after my stroke.  Pain motivates me to exercise.  When I fell I broke a forearm bone (ulna) near my hemiplegic elbow which caused arthritis.  This produces a sharp pain if I do not stretch.  Before I get out of bed, I repeatedly bend and straighten this elbow and rotate this forearm.  I also have a bad back that creates agony if I do not stretch every day.  I get up in the morning to go to the bathroom and go back to bed to stretch my back while my muscles are still warm.  Skipping 2 days makes me stiff and skipping 3 days produces pain.  

Preventing fatigue also motivates me to exercise.  A stroke can create crushing fatigue that I cannot push through.  After 2 days of walking indoors I feel tired when I walk in the community.      So at the end of each day I write that day's aerobic activity on a monthly calendar I keep on my kitchen table.  At breakfast I can see if I sat at home the day before and plan the current day's aerobic activity.  Examples include Fitbit data when I walk in my neighborhood and shopping that requires me to push a cart and repeatedly lift objects.

The bad news is I can no longer be trusted to do exercises that maintain strength.  1st, gradually losing strength does not raise red flags that compel me to act.  2nd, I have a life so I no longer want to organize my day around home exercises.  However, I repeatedly do a few reps that do not disrupt the activity I am doing.  It is hard to find an excuse for not doing these brief exercises. 

For example, I get up from the computer every 20 minutes to turn off an alarm on my iphone in the kitchen.  This alarm prompts me to do 3 brief exercises.  Before I stand up, I lean down so my hand almost touches the foor and straighten my fingers ONE time.  When I sit back up, I reach back to touch the back of my chair with both forearms ONE time.  This stretches the muscle that pulls my arm across the front of my chest (pec major).  After I go to the kitchen to turn off the iphone alarm, I sit and open my hand THREE times.  

I also open my hand when I sit on my bed to use deoderant.        I open my hand ONCE before I take the cap off the bottle and ONCE after I put the cap back on.

homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Yep, incorporating exercises into things I already do (or have to do) is the only way I keep doing them long enough to become a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find a schedule works well for me. In the mornings, after a bathroom trip, I do my morning prayers and exercise, and at night, I do my exercises, say my nightly prayers and then go to bed. Every day starts and ends the same except when in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete