July 3, 2020

Stroke Survivors Need to Talk

Research with over 1,000 stroke survivors in the UK found that one in five choose to keep their fears to themselves (1).  Major fears included having another stroke, never getting better, and being sent to a long-term care facility.  Reasons for remaining silent included not wanting to worry others and not wanting to sound stupid.

I rarely discuss my stroke issues with family or friends for two reasons.  First, the challenges a stroke creates never ends.  I do not want to see able-bodied peoples' reaction to a litany of complaints that never end.  Second, after trying to explain a few problems to able-bodied people
I found they do not understand the emotional and physical toll a stroke creates.  In contrast, a stroke survivor recently thanked me for a presentation I gave.  I showed him a simple way to hold a toothbrush still while appying toothpaste with his sound hand.  He thanked me enthusiastically because he knew how irritating it would be to clean up sticky toothpaste when a toothbrush falls over every day until he dies.  He gets me and I get him.  Thank God reading stroke survivors blogs showed me that we can get better after rehab ends and my concerns are not stupid.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I hope it's okay if people who haven't (yet?) had a stroke also read the site, but I'll try to resist the temptation to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie I am always glad to see your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make a point of talking about my strokes to anyone and everyone. I even blog about like you do. Being a silent sufferer has never been a strong point for me. The good stuff, bad stuff, and everything in between. If I help one person out there, I'm happy. But the numbers are now in the thousands so I'll keep plugging away like you Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete