July 10, 2020

I Cannot Use Salt to Make Food Tasty

I had a 2nd stroke two years after my 1st stroke so I got serious about lowering my blood pressure with a low salt diet.  Low salt food tastes terrible so I jacked up the flavor with onions and garlic.  Peeling garlic is a challenge.  I use the smooth side of meat pounder to smash the garlic open so I can remove the peel with my sound hand.  Then I chop the garlic with a large kitchen knife. Rocking the knife over the garlic creates a mix of small and medium size pieces.  I place a food scraper in my affected hand so my sound hand can scoop up chopped food and dump it in a mixing bowl or pot.  Notice that the fingertips of my affected hand are not touching each other or the food scraper.

But sometimes I want small uniform pieces of garlic that are evenly distributed in a dish.  I spice up turkey burgers by stirring crushed garlic into an egg before adding it to the raw meat so I will not bite into a big hunk of garlic.  However, a garlic crusher takes lots of hand strength to squeeze the two arms of the crusher together.

I rest the bottom arm of the crusher on my cart as I grasp it with my sound hand.  Leaning on the top arm lets me press down with my whole arm.  I catch pieces of flying garlic with a piece of saran wrap.  To get garlic clinging to the crusher into a bowl or pan, I place the crusher in my affected hand so my sound hand can use a knife to scrape off the garlic.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment