June 16, 2021

Qualifying for Disability Benefits

I was surprised to learn that having a stroke was not enough to establish my need for paratransit.  When I had an interview with paratransit services they asked me to give examples of why I could not take a regular bus.  My sound hand has to manage a cane and my hemiplegic hand cannot insert money in the fare box.  If I do not sit down quickly, the lurching movement of the bus would make me fall because I have poor balance.

Approval for social security disability (SSD) also required explaining how specific deficits interfered with my ability to do specific job related tasks.  Being one-handed meant I could not demonstrate or help OT students perform bimanual therapeutic techniques.  The physiatrist who filled out his section of the SSD application form was able to document my inability to perform functional tasks because he heard therapists talk about me in team meetings.  Neurologists do not evaluate or document the loss of independence that is needed to qualify for disability benefits.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, again the need for all you doctors to be on the same page. SSD makes it extremely difficult to get. I was turned down twice before my husband died.

    ReplyDelete