September 4, 2021

Kalamazoo

After living alone for 18 years with a stroke I am tired of dealing with home and yard maintenence, parking my car on the street which forces me to deal with snow, struggling to get groceries up my front steps, and cooking one-handed.  In September I was going to visit an independent living site I like in Kalamazoo after the summer road repairs on I-80 were finished.  I like the information I got from the website and the sales rep, but independent living is too expensive to buy into sight unseen.  

When the delta variant sent covid cases soaring I canceled my visit.  I know the odds of catching break-thru covid are low after my 2 vaccine shots.  However, I am afraid to be alone 750 miles from home with covid.  I could be too sick to drive myself home.  Do Uber drivers deliver to the front desk of a hotel?  Would hotels allow me to quarantine with them?

Another sign that this is not a good time to visit is that the facility posted an activity schedule for May, June, and July, but not August.***  Kalamazoo county currently has twice as many new covid cases as my county which has 100,000 more people.  With the covid surge and potentially bad winter weather, my visit is delayed until spring.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

*** The activity schedule for September was finally published.  YEAH!  

5 comments:

  1. If you are referring to Kalamazo, MI then that is 60 miles further south than I am in East Lansing. Living here for 9 years only 2 of them actually froze the ground. The major problem in MI in winter is lack of sunshine. Kalamazoo is far enough away from Lake Michigan to not get lake effect snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalamazoo is close to my family in Illinois. I have visited Michigan many times and enjoy the area. However, I am glad the facility I am looking at has a heated underground parking garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, My daughter's facility (where I was supposed to live)has 12 cases of Delta and everyone had their shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed that you've made it for 18 years! I'm looking forward to your report on the facility, when you finally get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had gone into a long-term facility when I had my stroke at 58 years old my retirement fund would be empty. I was lucky my stroke hit the back of my brain that controls balance, coordination, and basic functions like breathing.

    ReplyDelete