August 3, 2020

Nails Do Not Stop Growing After a Stroke

         CAUTION: CLIPPING NAILS REQUIRES GOOD SENSATION AND COORDINATION

I live alone so I have to cut my nails.  I cut the nails on my sound hand by using an adapted nail clipper.  The end of the large nail clipper has a square handle which is comfortable for my palm to press on.  The long handle also gives me good leverage when I push down.      I returned the small nail clipper.  The V-shaped end dug into my palm when I pushed down.  The short handle meant I had to press hard to get enough force to cut my nail.

The large nail clipper has emery boards held by pegs that are tightened by hand.  I use these emery boards to remove sharp points at the corners of my nails. This is safer than trying to get the clipper into these tight spaces.  The clipper came with four emery boards, but replacing them is a challenge.  All the stores near my home sell only wide, thick boards (see pink board) that do not fit in the clipper.  The Internet sells long emery boards except for this link.

My sound hand uses a regular nail clipper to cut nails on my affected hand.  Spasticity in my affected hand makes my fingers curl.  To straighten them, I prop them one-at-a-time on a the edge of an opened drawer.  The open drawer allows my sound hand to get low enough to get a good cutting angle.  I put a piece of non-slip shelf liner under the finger to keep it from slipping, but the shelf liner got in the way when I photographed my hand.


Bottom Line: I cringed when I learned the large nail clipper costs $37.50, but nails do not stop growing so I do not have a choice.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes, I wish they did stop growing. I ban usually manage my fingernails fine...it's my toe nails that give me a fit even trying to clip them after a hot bath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resting a toe on top of a twist off cap while I sit on the toilet lid brings my toe nail up to the clipper. It is easier to shake out the small rug under my feet than it is to pick up each toe nail clipping.

      Delete
  2. I bought this one about 10 months post stroke and have been using once a week with no problems. My wife did give me my first pedicure for Christmas, which was great!

    Press-On One-Handed Nail Clipper from Ableware

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RXPCAU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Press-On One-handed Nail Clipper also looks good. Thanks for sharing this info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I file my fingernails really short, which takes longer than clippers but I never accidentally cut myself. It is hard to do my affected hand, but I've found I can file the nails on my unaffected hand with that hand. My husband cuts my toenails and I just look away. I always wear shoes, so no one sees them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candure is providing the best and stainless Nail Nippers .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information. Thanks for providing us such a useful information. Keep up the good work and continue providing us more quality information from time to time.Nail Nippers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many of us don't consider clipping toenails to be an especially difficult task. In fact, it's simply a part of habitual grooming. We don't think twice about cutting our nails once they get too long for comfort or vanity purposes. However, for people who have thick and yellow toenails, it's necessary to find a pair of toenail clippers ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A manicure/ pedicure by a pro is something we should all do for ourselves. While I was in rehab hospital, it was the one service all the women wanted. When I was moved to a care faciity near home, they offered mani/pedi service once a week. I was thrilled to pay for it, and give a big tip. Now, I live alone and am not ready to drive, but have coordinated with a girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be good if they stopped developing. I can for the most part deal with my fingernails fine. It's my toenails that give me a fit in any event, attempting to cut them after a hot shower. I never unintentionally cut myself. It is difficult to do my influenced hand, however I've discovered I can document the nails on my unaffected hand with that hand. toenail clippers for elderly

    ReplyDelete