December 4, 2020

Happiness is Biochemical

"Your brain is like Velcro for negative experiences and like Teflon for positive ones" (1, p. 41).
We briefly notice positive experiences, but they slip away the way a fried egg slides out of a Teflon-coated pan.  Our stone age brain is wired to immediately store negative experiences that may be threats in the future (1).  A brain scan study found the brain was activated faster when people saw fearful faces than when they saw neutral or happy faces (2).  24 hours later, they also remembered more fearful faces than neutral or happy faces when they saw the photos again. 

Surprisingly, being happy does not require a positive attitude.  It requires action.  Here is a simple action that can change the brain.  Take 5 seconds to enjoy a happy moment (1).  I try to notice happy events I did not plan, like when I got the parking spot close to the entrance of a crowded grocery store the day before Christmas.  I sat still for 5 seconds, enjoying this treat before I got out of my car.  Lately I have been enjoying a shower.  I have been standing still for 5 seconds after I get out of the shower to enjoy this luxurious feeling.  When you pay attention to brief moments of happiness, the brain releases dopamine which builds a richly detailed positive memory.  For me, noticing brief episodes of happiness has a cumulative effect that affects how I feel at the end of the day.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

1. Hanson R, Mendius R. Buddha's Brain. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications; 2009.
2. Yang E, Zald D, Blake R. Fearful expressions gain preferential access to awareness during
    continuous flash suppression. Emotion. 2007;5:227-250

1 comment: