May 2, 2020

Another Cheap Solution

Here is another example of how stroke survivors can use cheap every day items to solve problens instead of ordering equipment from an expensive medical catalogue. I love my kitchen garbage can except for 1 thing.   As it gets full, the weight of the garbage pulls the liner down.  The notch (see arrow) does not keep the liner in place.  Garbage can get caught between the liner and the can - yuk. 

Recently I saw 2 metal clips resting on my counter that I forgot to put away.  I thought the clips might hold the liner in place.  Voila - the tiny black clips next to the hinge do the job.  I am so happy.  Serendipity saved me again.  Having a master's degree in OT is not enough.

I had to do in-store shopping to find a kitchen garbage can I can use.  I discovered I cannot use a garbage can that opens by stepping on a pedal.  This mechanism requires me to slowly step on the pedal so the lid does not fly open.  My balance is not good enough to do this.  I learned garbage cans with openings in the lid that swing open when touched are small so the edges can get spattered with food - another yuk.

A model made by Hefty has a lid that hangs over the side (see arrows).  I lift the lid with the back of my hemiplegic fist so my sound hand is free to dump the garbage.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a good choice! We have our garbage can on a slider thing under the sink. It adds the extra step of open the door, slide garbage can out before picking up what ever you are throwing out. One of the things I learned off a cooking show was when doing meal prep to put a big plastic bowl on the counter and throw all the garbage directly in there and then you can pick up the one bowl and dump it all at once. I think that also helps keep me focused on what I am doing and stop me wandering off when I go to the garbage can. wink.

    ReplyDelete