January 28, 2021

Community Ambulation Falls Thru the Cracks

Stroke survivors have to figure out how to walk safely in the community.  Walking in PT gyms and on deserted sidewalks in my neighborhood did not prepare me for walking in community settings.  
I had to teach myself how to maneuver around carts and people in a grocery store, squeeze past closely placed chairs and tables in a restaurant, and deal with children in a shopping mall who do not look where they are going.  PTs do not know walking requires divided attention because they walk clients in wide empty spaces that provide no cognitive challenges.  Equally unfortunate, OTs who are trained to address cognitive issues do not assess community ambulation because walking is PTs domain.  So community ambulation falls through the cracks. homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. My PT who tested me on the force plates(Balance Master) told me that even 4 weeks post-stroke I was better than the average 50 year old male.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't do the force plates but it is mostly having to do with the decubitus on my foot and an ill fitting brace. I have good balance most times except when I look up.

    ReplyDelete