January 3, 2021

The Only Cutting Board That Works Great

I had a 2nd stroke so I got serious about a low salt diet.  Unfortunately, food does not have much flavor without salt so I started adding aromatics like onions.  The standard cutting board for one-handed people shown on the right is not that helpful.  Impaling food on 1 nail allows the food to swivel.  Two raised edges on the left back corner holds food still ONLY if you push the knife towards the corner.  Food like peanut butter gets smeared on the raised edge.

A cutting board that works much better is the Swedish cutting Board (1). The part I use the most is the adjustable vise (see red knob) that can be taken apart to be washed.  The vise makes it easy to spread food on bread and slice a thin English muffin, a soft tomato, or a whole head of lettuce.  Instead of 2 nails, I impale meat on 9 prongs.  This small section lifts out of the cutting board so I can put it in the dishwasher.  See the empty space in Figure 7.8 below.



For safety I cut food by using my palm to push down on a large chef's knife.  This lets me keep the ends of my paralyzed fingers away from the blade (see arrow in Figure 7.8). 

This cutting board is more expensive than a regular board but I think it is worth every penny. It makes food preparation safer, faster, and less frustrating.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com


1. Dutton, R. My Last Degree: A Therapist Goes Home After a Stroke, 2nd ed. 2013; Booklocker.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could move my paralyzed and spastic hand into position on top of my knife. I loved and well used my Swedish adaptive cutting board several times a day for years, now I've just gotten lazy and use a regular cutting board.

    ReplyDelete