November 20, 2019

I Need to Walk on More than Linoleum

I am glad I had PT after I came home from my knee replacement surgery for what used to be my sound leg.  The first time I walked across carpeting with a cane instead of a walker I was wobbly.  The carpeting felt uneven after waking on linoleum at the hospital and in-patient rehab.  I was glad I had a home health PT to steady me when I panicked.  Half of fall prevention is reducing fear that makes me stiffen up.

The first time I walked outside I was startled by a car that came around the corner quickly.  I did not know the hospital environment had allowed me to develop the bad habit of staring at the ground when I walked.  Again I was glad to have a PT by my side when I froze.  This upsetting experience made me realize I was staring at the floor inside my home as well.  So I began practicing walking while looking up in this less challenging indoor environment.  Walking on linoleum in wide spaces while PTs decide who goes 1st when two clients cross paths does not help stroke survivors learn to divide their attention between environmental challenges and controlling their body. 
homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, I'm guilty of staring at my feet when walking outside. My main problem in walking around here is vines, slippery twigs and leaves, and all sorts of things catching my feet. When on the street, I make a point to look up. Still I have a startle reflex even when I see it coming.

    ReplyDelete