June 28, 2021

The Gift That Keeps on Giving

In the hospital my PT had me reach down with my sound hand to pick up cones sitting on a stool and stand up to place the cones on a shelf at head height.  I saw the value of this exercise when I started to wobble less as I reached down to pull up my pants at the toilet. I could not go home if I needed 24 hour assistance for toileting.  When Michelle did not have me squat in the morning,
I asked to do it in the afternoon.  After I went home activity analysis helped me identify how squatting keeps me safe during dozens of tasks.  Activity analysis is the gift that keeps on giving because it tells me WHY I WORKED SO HARD.

   I bend my knees and hips when I reach down to:
* Pull up my underwear and pants after toileting
* Pick up my cane after it has fallen on the floor for the thousandth time
* Get clothing out of the bottom drawer of the dresser
* Get shoes from the floor of the closet
* Get a milk carton sitting on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator
* Get a box of cereal from the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet
* Get a heavy pot from the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet
* Get a box of dishwasher detergent from under the sink
* Take a heavy book from bottom shelf of book case
* Plug a cord into a low electrical outlet 
* Pull clothes out of the dryer
* Use a garden hose to fill a watering can that is sitting on the ground
* Empty a waste basket
* Pickup a bag of garbage to take it to the outdoor garbage can
* Pick up purchases sitting on the floor of my car

P.S. Reaching down by bending at the waist with straight legs is hard on my arthritic low back.
homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. What a long list of exactly the tasks I am avoiding. hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaning over with my knees straight makes me feel vulnerable.

      Delete
  2. Cant squat at all though PT gave me exercises to do so but i could never squat at the knees and i still cant. Would love to see how u squat because its frustrating for me cos i keep losing things in my home and have to squat to look for stuff. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I mean by a "partial squat" is bending my hips and knees enough for my hand to touch my knee. Even this small movement is enough to reach many objects below table top height.

      Delete