April 27, 2022

Bathing When I Travel

I am traveling at the end of April.  I have not used this shower stool for 4 years so I practiced using it home before I left.  Rehearsal always gives me confidence. 

Caution.  This stool may not be safe if you need assistance to stand up or sit down or are heavy.

It is not safe for me to stand in the shower.  When I travel I use a folding shower chair.  This adaptive device allows me to visit with family and friends and present at conferences.  I bought the stool at a local medical supply house. Before I bought it I wanted to see if I could open it myself and sit on it to feel how sturdy it is.    It is too big for anything but the widest luggage so a luggage saleswoman suggested I transport it in a nylon garment bag.

When I travel I cannot count on towel racks being close to the shower.  Before I get in the shower I check to see if the toilet is close to the shower.  If it is far away I drag a chair from the bedroom and place it close to the shower.  Then I open a towel and put it on the closed toilet seat or chair.  This gives me a clean place to sit after I get out of the shower.  I also put a folded towel on the closed toilet lid or a chair so I can dry myself.  After I am dressed I take the stool out of the bathtub.  I fold the stool and place it on the towel covered toilet seat and use the ends of the towel to wipe off the water.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

1 comment: