April 27, 2021

Saved by the 80% Rule

Ironing aprons after the Spring Sale at my church reminded me of a pleasant childhood memory.  I remembered when my mom taught me to iron by having me iron handkerchiefs.  This was a simple task I did successfully the very first time.  However, it is easier to get wrinkles out of a handkerchief than an apron.  Fortunately these aprons do not have to be ironed perfectly because they will be stacked in a box until next year and will come out a little wrinkled anyway. 

This got me thinking about the 80% rule.  Business managers use the 80% rule to keep down costs.  Some tasks that are 80% correct do not affect the bottom line while others have to be closer to perfect.  The rule says you need to think about striving for perfection because the last 20% requires nearly as many resources as the first 80%.  Business managers are paid to decide when a company should spend extra resources to approach perfection.  I wish I had known about the 80% rule when I was married.  When my husband did not smooth out the bedspread perfectly I would have known  this is an acceptable business practice.

I do not know where I got the idea that ALL work has to be done perfectly ALL the time.  I used to be a perfectionist, but now I think perfection should be a conscious choice rather than a habit.  
I live alone so when I am exhausted or frustrated I use the 80% rule.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Rebecca, boy, does that bring back memories. My mom had me ironing pillow cases. I enjoyed the work in the summer, of all times, because the iron board was set up in the basement in front of the old black and white RCA tv. I would watch the old movies that were on the local channel before cable was in the Denver area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 80% rule sounds like a very good way to look at things.

    Separate topic .... I now love aprons with big pockets. I never wore an apron before but a stroke friend pointed out if you don't have two hands free to carry things, extra pockets are a real blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. I have recently been thinking about my own perfectionism. Not compatible with stroke symptoms - that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My OCD would kick in bug time if I stopped at 80% HA HA! I truly wish it were possible but sadly for me it's not! HA! Ironing is my MOST un-favorite household activity! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do too. The only time perfection comes into play now is when I'm doing something for someone else.

    ReplyDelete