February 25, 2021

Snow Shoes for a Stroke Survivor

Since my stroke I am careful about venturing outside when it snows, but I am not trapped inside until spring.  Once streets are plowed and sidewalks shoveled, I wear boots over my shoes to give me better traction when icy slush is left behind.  Boots also help when my car is covered with snow.  Dragging snow off my car dumps snow on my boots instead of my shoes.  Boots I tried on at a shoe store would not fit over my leg brace.  My leg brace does not allow me to point my toes which is a pre-requisite for donning boots.  On-line I found the Neos overshoe with a Velvro opening that goes all the way down to my toes.  The Villager model is lightweight and designed for occasional use which is perfect for me.  I walk more slowly with boots on, but that beats not being able to get to the grocery store or keep important appointments, like a doctor appointment.
Notes-to-Self.  1) Make the ankle straps long BEFORE I take the boots off.  Long straps make it easier to unsnap and snap the plastic buckles. After snapping the buckle closed, pull the end of the strap to make it tight.  2) Begin by opening the boot ALL the way to the toe so I will not have to wrestle with the nylon fabric to get my toe in the boot. 

A video at www.overshoesonline.com shows how to don this boot.
Warning #1: I do not put the boots on while standing as the video shows because I do not have good standing balance.  My boots go on safely while I am sitting.  Warning #2: The first set of boots I ordered was too big so they flopped around when I walked.   homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    รองเท้าสุขภาพหญิง

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place..
    designer shoes for women

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of those online diaries that has left a significant impact on the hearts of the individuals.
    best-ice-traction-cleat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Best Boys Snow Boots

    ReplyDelete