March 3, 2021

The Zipping Challenge is Not What You Think

Velcro tabs do not keep me warm.  When I sit in the car, gaps form between the Velcro tabs which lets body heat escape.  Connecting the two halves of the zipper are relatively easy.  My right affected hand only needs a gross grasp to hold the female end of the zipper still while my left sound hand inserts the male end in its slot.                                                                            Challenge #1.  Zipper teeth do not mesh together if they are not perfectly aligned.  Only my sound hand can keep the two sides of the zipper perfectly aligned after they are joined so I can zip my coat  (see next 2 photos). 
Arrows show my sound index finger pushing up on the bottom of my coat to keep the zipper joined.  My sound thumb and middle finger pinch the bottom of the coat to hold it still as I  zip.  My affected hand pulls on the fabric zipper tab (white rectangle).     

After I broke my forearm I lost the tip pinch needed to grasp the fabric tab on the end of the zipper.  I attached one end of a tiny carabiner in the hole of the metal zipper tab (S-biner, size 2 from Home Depot).          I insert my hemiplegic index finger in the other hole of the carabiner and pull the zipper up a few inches.  The top photo shows my current coat has a zipper ring so I no longer need a carabiner.

Challenge #2.  My affected hand can pull the zipper tab up only two inches.  Going higher forces my wrist to bend due to the flexion synergy.  After two inches I switch hand positions.  My affected palm presses against my stomach to keep the bottom of the coat still while my sound hand finishes the zipping.  I unhook the carabiner and put it in my coat pocket so it is not visible at front of my neck.  homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. This is so hard. I have to confess I have been using my teeth to pull up the cord on my zipper. I hate compensating with my teeth - I'm afraid of breaking one and getting germs in my mouth. I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your dilemma. Having to put objects in my mouth is awful on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think another handy thing if you don't have a fabric tab attached is a carabineer you can move from one garment or purse to another. I love carabineers. You can clip it through easily with one hand. You can have string/ fabric attached to the carabineer too if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike. After I broke my wrist I discovered a tiny carabineer called S-Biner #2 made by Nite Ize. I found it at Home Depot next to the key making kiosk.

    ReplyDelete