July 6, 2017

Garbage Never Stops Being a Challenge

Bottom-Line: I live alone so paying an assisted living facility $5,000 a month is a very expensive way to get someone to handle my garbage.

As my 1st post on garbage explains, managing garbage after a stroke is a challenge.  Replacing the cracked garbage can I keep in my kitchen has taken a lot of thought.  I cannot buy a garbage can that opens by stepping on a pedal.  This mechanism requires the ability to slowly step on the pedal so the lid will not fling open.  My balance is not good enough to do this.  I do not want a garbage can with a lid that swings opens or springs open when you touch the top of the lid.
They have smaller openings whose edges can get spattered with food.

One step-on model made by Hefty has a lid that hangs over the rim (see arrows in photo on left).  This lets me lift the lid with the back of my hemiplegic wrist (see photo on right).  This leaves my sound hand free to carefully dump the garbage.

There are 3 things I do not like about this new can.
1.  I can lift the lid from only one side. With my old can I could lift the lid from both sides or the front.
2.  The removable garbage can liner is a much tighter fit to get around the rim (see white plastic). This mismatch is ironic because the liner is made for this size can and the garbage can and liner are made by the same manufacturer (Hefty).  3.  I do not like the black color.  My old garbage can was a light green which matched my kitchen decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment