May 5, 2017

Mini Exercise

Pain did not end after knee surgery so I asked for PT.  My PT discovered my knee problem was caused by weak muscles that do not keep my joints in good alignment.  However, I cannot be trusted to do boring, time-consuming exercises that never end because my weakness will never fully go away.  In the 13 years since my stroke I learned I will do 3 to 5 repetitions every day  IF I use an object as a memory aid.  The stranger the memory aid the better it is at catching my attention.  I call doing a few reps every day forever a mini-exercise.

When I told my PT about mini-exercises she looked skeptical.  She is in her thirties so she can recover strength and flexibility if she stops and then starts exercising.  She does not know how
mind-numbing exercise is when it must be done every day until she dies.  Here is one of the
mini-exercises I added to my daily routine because I do not want knee replacement surgery.

My PT had me do lunges to strengthen my knee.  My knee wobbled left or right (red arrow) as it bent because my hip muscles are weak.  After 1 or 2 reps my knee stays lined up with my foot (green arrow) because hip muscles work together to keep my knee in the midline.  I chose the toilet to prompt me to do a few lunges.  On his TV show Dr. Oz showed how much water sprays out of a toilet when it is flushed so I got in the habit of lowering the lid before I flush.  I have to wait for 10 seconds so I thought I may as well do lunges.

3 comments:

  1. So that is why my knee pops to the left when I go down steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great plan. I believe in tying exercise and movements to everyday tasks. It is amazing what all one can do while brushing teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I do up to 20 exercises a day (except Sundays, everybody needs a day off). Some I do 3 times a day. I have wobbly knee problems, too, so am doing hip strenghthening exercises. Hope it pays off in a couple months!

    ReplyDelete