March 22, 2017

Saved by Sheer Dumb Luck

One problem I worried about repeatedly before my knee surgery was stress incontinence.  Coughing or sneezing sometimes produces a small urinary leak that turns into a flood after about 60 seconds.  While waiting for my surgery date I learned sudden knee pain also triggered stress incontinence.  This set off alarm bells in my head.  I regularly get up in the middle of the night to
go to the bathroom and was worried about losing bladder control if I felt sharp knee pain.  I was freaked out about trying to clean urine from my wall-to-wall carpet.

A bedside commode would solve this problem, but I live alone so who is going to empty it??

I cannot carry the bucket in my sound hand because I need that hand to hold a walking aid.  I was saved by serendipity. Before surgery I had placed a laundry basket so I could put dirty clothes in it as I came and went from the bathroom (see door on right side of photo).  During a practice session my friend Hanneke put some water in the bucket.  Feeling the liquid slosh around made the problem real and something made me look at the laundry basket. I knew the bottom of the laundry basket is so smooth that it slides over carpeting like it is on ice.  So I put the commode bucket inside the laundry basket and slid it to the toilet in my bathroom.

While carrying the empty bucket from the toilet to the shower, my sound hand held the bucket and I slid the heel** of my hemiplegic hand along the bathroom counter to keep my balance.  Hanneke suggested I put the bucket on my shower chair and use the shower hose to rinse it rather than risking a fall by leaning over to put the bucket under the water spout.  After letting the bucket drain while sitting upside down on the shower chair I took it back to the commode by putting the bucket in the laundry basket and sliding it.

Ironically I never needed the bedside commode.  Yet I felt triumphant because so many health professionals have told me to use a bedside commode.  I also felt humbled because I arrived at the solution through sheer dumb luck instead of my OT degree and clinical experience.

** heel of hand = palm on the little finger side of hand near the wrist

1 comment:

  1. I hope you pass this solution on to your former colleagues so they can help the next one. Dumb luck is often a fine teacher.

    ReplyDelete