September 20, 2021

Hand Use Able-bodied Adults Take for Granted


When my hand was flaccid I had to put objects in my mouth or squeeze them between my thighs to hold objects still.  When I was able-bodied I never noticed the dozens of times each day I reached out to hold an object still so the other hand could manipulate it.  For example, it is awful to be unable to open the milk after I get out cereal, a bowl, and a spoon.  After rehab, my affected hand can hold the milk container still so it does not spin around when I remove the cap. 

My affected right arm can reach for and hold a lint trap so my sound left hand can clean the lint trap.  . 

I am grateful that my OTs, NeuroMove, and Saeboflex helped me change my hand from completely flaccid to being useful every day. homeafterstroke.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. You are describing one of my most frustrating tasks, getting my 'bad' hand to do some work. Opening doors is a pain because if I have my cane I have to lean it against the wall rather than transfer it to my bad hand. Getting it into my 'bad' hand requires prying open my fingers and hoping I don't drop the cane in the process. If I walk without the cane and am carrying something in my good hand I have to set it on the ground, open the door, pick it up, walk thru,etc. I'm getting good at one-handed stuff but I'd rather not.
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have eloquently described the task disruption that is produced by being one handed. Being able to open and close my hemiplegic hand 2 to 3 inches means I can put my cane in my hemi hand so my sound hand can open a door. I do daily exercises with my Saeboflex spint because I don't want to lose even this small amount of hand function for all the reasons you described.

    ReplyDelete