February 14, 2017

Counting Down to Knee Surgery

I alternated between sheer terror and wanting arthroscopic knee surgery.  At three in the morning I would wake up with a feeling of dread that I would have another stroke.  Yet the pain and fatigue I feel and the slow walking I have to do all day tells me surgery is necessary.  I used to be able to walk five steps from my bed to my en suite bathroom in my bare feet with no cane.  Now I have to take small steps with the help of a quad cane.  I have to be vigilant when I take the first two steps every time I stand up because this is when I feel a sharp pain that can make my knee collapse. 

A recent visit to a new neurologist made me feel better.  My vertebral artery which reaches the brain by snaking through neck bones is narrowed by stenosis.  This means my brain will not receive enough blood IF my blood pressure drops too low to push blood through this narrow blood vessel.  While doctors are typically alarmed by high blood pressure, this neurologist wants my blood pressure to remain normal.  For me normal is 130/75.  He also increased my aspirin from 81 to 325 mg to discourage blood clot formation.  I can take this aspirin right up to the day before my surgery.

3 comments:

  1. Your doctor didn't see if you are among the 40% or so whose Circle of Willis is complete and thus don't need to worry as much about lack of blood to the brain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Circle of Willis is part of the anterior circulation of the brain. The vertebral artery is part of the posterior circulation that brings blood to the brainstem. I had a brainstem stroke because my vertebral artery is narrowed by stenosis.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your surgery. I think you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete