January 3, 2017

STILL Being Undressed Like a Baby

Babies are not asked if they want to be undressed - they are expected to submit when people start pulling off their clothing.  I cannot believe doctors have been undressing me like a baby since I had a stroke 12 years ago.  I recently saw a doctor who reached down and undid the top strap of my leg brace so he could look at my lower leg.  To hide my anger, I told him I have taken off my brace and shoe 10,000 times and can do it faster than he can.  Yelling at a surgeon who is going to cut me open to repair a torn meniscus in my knee is not wise.  

Here is the script I will try the next time a doctor starts undressing me.  "If you were a gynecologist you would not undress a female patient.  But I understand your dilemma.  I specialized in stroke rehab and cannot tell what stroke survivors can do while they are sitting.  I would ask "Do you need help with.........."  (Dean, Mark -  have doctors tried to undress since you had a stroke?)

If the doctor asks me if I need help I will say "I can do it but thank you for offering."

1 comment:

  1. No one has tried to undress me since stroke. Mainly because I don't see any stroke doctors anymore. Even when I did they didn't try that.

    ReplyDelete