January 14, 2017

Snow At My Door

Sometimes I can wait 1 or 2 days for the snow to melt when my area gets a warm spell after it snows.  This snow storm was followed by a 5 day cold spell.  Adding 2 more days for the snow to melt means I could have been home bound for a week.  Fortunately, this snow storm dropped only 3 inches of light, fluffy snow.



I handle this much snow with a broom and child-sized shovel (red handle) that I keep outside my front door.  With my sound hand and armpit, I sweep snow off my steps, push the snow off my walkway, and make a path to the door of my car.  I get rid of the accumulating pile of snow by using the shovel to flick the snow onto my lawn or make a pile in the street.  My neighbor does not drive so I do not feel guilty about making a low pile of snow in her empty parking space.

To clean snow off my car, I wear an apron so I can lean against the car without getting my coat dirty.  I hang the apron around my neck but do not tie the strings behind me.  I shove the snow off my car with the tool designed to clean wind shields.  It is easy for me to control because it is light and the handle is short.  It has a soft side that will not scratch the paint on my car and a blade side to clean the windshield.  Pushing snow off my car dumps snow on my feet so I wear snow boots (see previous post) that I can don one-handed.  When I get snow on my hand I am grateful for the super warm mittens I used when I was skiing.

I keep a container of ice melting crystals next to my front door.  This large container has a spout designed for sprinkling, but the container is too heavy for me to control.  I use a funnel to pour a manageable amount in a small container.  I place the small container and funnel in my bathroom sink to make the transfer.  Compensation does not make me sad - it keeps me in my home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment