November 8, 2016

I Cannot Use Salt to Make Food Tasty

I had a 2nd stroke two years after my 1st stroke so I got serious about lowering my blood pressure with a low salt diet.  Low salt food tastes terrible so I learned to jack up the flavor of food with aromatics like onions and garlic.  Peeling garlic is a challenge even for able-bodied people.  I use the smooth side of meat pounder to smash the garlic open so I can remove the peel with
my sound hand.  This means my days of creating beautiful, thinly sliced garlic are over.  

I chop garlic with a large kitchen knife.  Rocking the knife over the garlic creates a mix of small and medium size pieces.  I place a food scraper in my hemiplegic hand so my sound hand can scoop up chopped food and slide it into a mixing bowl or pot.  But sometimes I want small uniform pieces of garlic that are evenly distributed in a dish.  I spice up turkey burgers by stirring crushed garlic into an egg before adding it to the raw meat so I will not bite into a big hunk of garlic.  However, a garlic crusher takes lots of hand strength to squeeze the two arms of the crusher together.

I rest the bottom arm of the garlic crusher on my cart and put my sound hand on the top arm.  Leaning on the top arm lets me press down with the strength of my whole arm.  I catch pieces of falling garlic by putting a piece of saran wrap** under the garlic crusher.  To get garlic clinging to the crusher into a bowl or pan, I place the crusher in my hemiplegic hand so my sound hand can use a knife to scrape off the garlic. 

Cleaning a garlic crusher is easy if it has a plastic grid that pushes the remnants out of the holes. I hold one arm of the garlic crusher in my hemiplegic hand and stabilize the 2nd arm against my stomach. Then my sound hand can use the tip of the knife to dig out remnants so they fall on the saran wrap.  I fold the saran wrap and put it in the garbage.

** To see how I tear off a sheet of saran wrap with one hand
click on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment