June 3, 2016

Adaptive Garderning After a Stroke

All anti-depressants do not come in a pill.  When I started gardening in my twenties, I discovered the joy of putting my hands in dirt and watching plants grow.  So I am very glad I found a way to garden after my stroke.  However, I do not remember the tricks I discovered last year so this spring I took photos at each stage and described ALL OF MY TRICKS.

At first I pulled plants loose from the soil when I pulled them out of their containers one-handed.  I learned to let the plants dry out a little.  The roots release more easily if the soil is dry.  The photo shows a child size spade that I slide down the sides of each container to loosen the roots.  


I use a big plastic pot that is lighter than clay and does not dry out quickly.  After I partially fill the pot, I put a ring on top of the dirt.  I made this ring out of a disposable plastic cutting board.  The ring keeps plants away from the rim, gives me something to lean the 1st row of plants against, and lets me see if I have filled the pot to the right level.  A small cup gives me good control when I fill the narrow space between the edge of the pot and the ring.  Then I arrange the flowers inside the ring, making sure the plants are touching each other so they will grow into a thick ball of foliage that prevents water evaporation.  Once I get the plants where I want them, I drop fistfuls of dirt in the small spaces between the plants.  I leave the ring in the pot until I am done.

Watering compresses the soil so the roots make good contact with the soil.  I use my hemiplegic (paralyzed) hand to hold the watering can still so it will not tip over as I fill it with the hose. 
I use the garden hose to wash off the dirt I have spilled on my concrete patio. 
I transfer the pot to a bench that sits next to the chair that I sit in to watch the sunset as I drink a cup coffee.  I also get to see beautiful flowers every time I come home.                            P.S. Rebecca, you only need five 4-packs.

No comments:

Post a Comment