May 4, 2016

Grateful My PT Taught Me to Squat

I did NOT do this
I am glad my in-patient PT made me squat while reaching down with my sound hand to pick up plastic cones sitting on a low stool and place the cones on a shelf at head height.  She did NOT have me squat deeply like the body builder in the photo.  She had me
do a partial squat while leaning over to reach close to the floor. 

At first I loved squats because I felt safer when both feet were on the floor than when I had to repeatedly stand on one foot while walking.  When I learned how useful squats are I asked my PT to let me do them every day.  The list below shows the value of this basic skill I took for granted as an able-bodied person.  I have used this skill thousands of times in the 12 years since my stroke.
NOTE: Reaching for objects overhead is dangerous when I drop the objects on my head.

  A partial squat makes me more stable when I lean down to:
* Pull up my underwear up after toileting
* Pick up my cane after it has fallen on the floor for the thousandth time! 
* Get clothing out of the bottom drawer of the dresser
* Get shoes from the floor of the closet
* Get a milk carton sitting on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator
* Get a box of cereal from the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet
* Get a pot from the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet
* Place and remove dishes from the bottom rack of dishwasher
* Get a box of dishwashing detergent from under the sink
* Pull bed linen straight when making the bed
* Take a book from bottom of book shelf
* Plug a cord into a low electrical outlet 
* Pull clothes out of the dryer
* Fill a watering can with the garden hose
* Empty a waste basket
* Pickup a large bag of garbage I kicked down my stairs to put the bag in the garbage can
* Pick up purchases sitting in the trunk or on the floor of my car

4 comments:

  1. What a long list of exactly the tasks I am avoiding. hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaning over with my knees straight makes me feel vulnerable.

      Delete
  2. Cant squat at all though PT gave me exercises to do so but i could never squat at the knees and i still cant. Would love to see how u squat because its frustrating for me cos i keep losing things in my home and have to squat to look for stuff. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I mean by a "partial squat" is bending my hips and knees enough for my hand to touch my knee. Even this small movement is enough to reach many objects below table top height.

      Delete