April 27, 2016

Procrastination Comes Back to Bite Me

I used to be a procrastinator.  I would let tasks pile up and get them done by pushing through my fatigue.  Now picking up piles of clutter is exhausting.  Despite this awareness there are some tasks I need to trick myself into doing.  
  

For some reason I hate to fill empty ice cube trays.  It probably goes back to a childhood resentment I felt because my brothers used the ice cubes, but left the trays empty.  So I put the empty trays and ice cube container on the kitchen counter as soon as I use the last ice cube.  For some reason the job is easier to start when the preparation is already done.



Loading the dishwasher is a soothing ritual, but I hate emptying the dishwasher.  My solution is to put the clean dishes on a kitchen cart.  Later when I walk through my kitchen I figure it would not kill me to put away a few dishes.  Once I start I figure I might as well finish the job.  This wacky routine gives me the feeling that I am getting away with something.   

A psychotherapist would probably have a field day with this post.

5 comments:

  1. What I want to know is this: how do you get the ice cubes out of the tray? Even before the stroke,usually I had to rap the tray several times--with both hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stiff heavy trays that come with my frig are too hard for me to bend one-handed. Cheap thin trays from Wal-Mart or the Dollar store are easier to bend. For stubborn cubes I wrap the tray right side up on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My big procrastinator is dusting. For some reason, I no longer put vacuuming and dusting together the way I use to. I'm still trying to figure out how to get past this. With the vacuuming, it's an exercise because I can use the upright to balance myself. Dusting doesn't work that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dust everything I can with the vacuum cleaner using the soft round attachment: end tables, lamp shades and bases, crystal vases, figurines gig enough not to get sucked up the hose, etc. I don't think things are totally dust free, but everything looks better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, my language deficit strikes again. I wrote you about wrapping an ice cube tray. Of course I really meant rapping.

    ReplyDelete