December 31, 2014

Cracks on the Ends of My Fingers

Winter is finally here and I have a crack in the skin at the end of the fourth finger on my sound hand.  Every time the end of my finger contacts an object the crack opens painfully.  I wash my sound hand so often that my skin is as rough as sandpaper.  I felt desperate because my thumb develops an even bigger crack which is even more painful. 

I Googled paraffin bath because warm wax softens the skin.  On-line users said it takes 6 hours for the wax to melt.  To prevent burns, the heating element is too weak to melt the wax quickly.  This means leaving the unit on 24 hours a day to keep the wax liquid.  Then there were users who said wax leaked out of the bottom of their unit.  

Bath and Body Works makes a product called True Blue Super Softening Hand Lotion with paraffin.  The sandpaper rough skin on the end of my thumb disappeared after one application. 
It took 5 days for the crack on my fourth finger to close up after using one small dab the size of a pea each day.  This is good because the lotion costs $12 for a 2.5 fluid ounce tube.

I let the lotion sink in after I go to bed at night.  I put a dab of lotion on the back of my hemiplegic hand, use the remote to turn off my ceiling light, and get into bed.  I use the index finger of my sound hand to transfer the lotion to the ends of my fingers.  I need all five fingers working on my sound hand.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so frustrated with skin cracks! ugh! I've used lanolin with some success, but I still don't have a routine yet. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like curad hydro heal bandaids they stay on for days & hrs showers, pool therapy, ect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good plan. I wish we could round up all the bloggers in one place and go for a spa, manicure what ever day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about treating myself to a manicure that includes a paraffin bath. Good idea.

      Delete
  4. There are several lovely creams intended for cracking heels and calluses on the feet. By accident I discovered they work brilliantly on the old, crepey skin of my hands when winter is at its driest. I rub a generous coating onto the skin, and then pull on an oversized cotton glove or a sock, which is mostly to keep the sheets clean. In the morning everything is all better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca, I also develop a deep crack on my thumb during the winter. My OT suggested that I use "Zim's Crack Creme". It is important to get the liquid formula, not the creme formula. You can find it on Amazon. It heals my crack and alleviates the pain with just one application at night. Maybe it can help you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. Does it sting when you put it on a crack?

      Delete
  6. It stings a little, but not really bad and it feels better right away. It must have a topical pain reliever in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suffered from cracks at the ends of my fingers for years. Found a product a few years ago prior to my stroke and I still use it faithfully today on an as needed basis. Its called O'keeffe's Working Hands and if used diligently it will make those painful cracks disappear. They also make a version for your feet.
    I used to find it at my local Home Depot, but now Amazon has become my delivery store of choice. T has never failed me.

    Vikki R

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use bag balm on my hands and seal it in with barrier cream.

    ReplyDelete