April 30, 2016

Long-handled Bath Sponges Are My Pet Peeve

Not being allowed to shower and wash my hair for two weeks after my stroke was misery I will never forget.  As an American I have always had quick access to copious amounts of clean water.  I took the pleasure of warm water streaming down my body for granted.  Showering is a simple pleasure I do not want ruined by aggravation.  Feeling clean always lifts my spirits.
Anti-depressants do not always come in the shape of a pill. 

I am sorry I ordered long-handled bath sponges for stroke survivors when I was an OT.  Long-handled sponges help clients with hip replacements wash their feet.  Having a stroke taught me this device has three flaws.  1)  Stroke survivors need a bath sponge to wash their back but choking up on the long handle was cumbersome.  I had to be careful not to stab myself in the head with the end of the handle as my hand moved up and down.  2)  The sponge is silky soft so feet will not be tickled, but I want a textured surface for the itchy places on my back.  3)  The straight handle makes it difficult to store the bath sponge which stays wet for 24 hours.  I lost track of how many times it slid off my hospital nightstand and bathroom sink. 

When I got home I ordered the Buff-Puff sponge and replacable sponge heads.  It has a short curved handle that makes it easy to hang up to dry on a suction hook.

1 comment:

  1. Long, hot showers are in my past. For starters, my husband is a hard-core conservationist who insists on me turning off the shower when I'm not actually rinsing. (Seriously, we use a bucket to catch the water that comes out while it's warming up, then dumps the water in the washing machine so that it doesn't take so much when it's filling.)

    It gets better/funnier: I HAD to figure out how to vacuum: his philosophy when keeping the thermostat down in the winter, is "if you get cold, vacuum." Two benefits - I get warm and the house gets clean.

    Of course, I could warm up in the shower.

    ReplyDelete